Book Review: "Three Decades of Fertility"

Monday, July 29, 2013

Three Decades of Fertility

I wanted to share with you this amazing book!  I've just read it and am so encouraged.  If you're interested, you can check it out here: Three Decades of Fertility. This PDF version will be on sale through midnight tonight for just $4.99!  You can also get it here at Amazon Three Decades of Fertility: Ten Ordinary Women Surrender to the Creator and Embrace Life (Paperback) or Three Decades of Fertility (Kindle).

This book is like sitting down over a cup of tea (in fact, you should definitely have one while reading...or coffee if it's your thing!) and listening to these Christian women share their experiences during their childbearing years.  Ten different women tell their stories of how they came to a place of surrendering life in their wombs to the Creator of life.  Some of these women were Christians throughout their entire childbearing years and some of these women began their journey as unbelievers, but were blessed to be drawn into God's family at some point later on.  It deals specifically with women who have borne children in their 20's, 30's and 40's.

Each chapter is as unique as the women who wrote them, but they also each answer eleven specific survey questions at the end of their chapter.  The questions are as follows:

  1. How do you deal with the fear of increased miscarriage, infant loss, or birth defects? How can one handle that kind of pain, especially over and over again?
  2. How do you balance life with older kids and babies? Do you feel this is unfair to the older children? How do they feel about having more brothers and sisters? Is it being greedy to want more babies at the risk of not being able to meet the needs of the rest of the family?
  3. What about the ethical issues of repeated miscarriages? Shouldn’t I avoid conception if I know that the chances of that child living are minimal? Am I enabling death when I should be promoting life?
  4. Do pregnancy, childbirth, and recovery get harder in your 40s? I already feel like I’m coming apart at the seams! How will I hold out until menopause if I keep having babies? Am I acting responsibly when it comes to taking care of my health?
  5. How do I deal with extended family members, friends, and even the medical community who disapprove of our continuing to want more babies as we get older?
  6. Will I have the energy I need to continue to raise children into my 50s if I have some in my 40s? Is it fair to the child to have older parents?
  7. How do you explain miscarriage to older children, especially if you have repeated losses?
  8. How does having babies in your 40s affect your relationship with your husband? Don’t I owe him some of my best years?
  9. Do you have any practical tips for high mileage mamas dealing with fatigue, pelvic separation, joint pain, varicose veins, etc.? In other words, what kinds of pregnancy issues did you have to deal with, and how did you deal with them?
  10. Are there real statistics (not skewed to the cultural norm) available regarding having babies in one’s 40s? How many mothers do you know who have had babies in their 40s? Share your thoughts regarding statistics and odds.
  11. Hind sight is 20/20. Do you have any regrets? Looking back, is there anything you would have done differently?

The two chapters at the end are an added bonus.  Dr. Regina Brott presents a chapter on how God designed women's bodies to be able to bear children and provides much advice on naturally addressing many health concerns women face during pregnancy and beyond, especially those who have had many children.  The last chapter, by Donielle Baker, is chock full of information on how nutrition affects your fertility and its importance during pregnancy; she especially focuses on your health in preparation for conception.

This is an amazing book.  There is much application of God's word throughout and you will feel blessed to share in the stories of our powerful God's work in the lives of these women and their families.  If you get the book, please let me know how you liked it here!  I pray it is a blessing to many women!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a good book for young people to read. I will pass it on to Nicole and Alyssa. One never knows when something like this will register with a young person.

Chantel Vinson said...

You're right! Perhaps it will strike a chord...or if not now, they may recall things from it later on once they are married and starting families.

Post a Comment