Being Truly Thankful

Sunday, November 18, 2012

 "in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."  - I Thessalonians 5:18 (NKJV)
I remember singing a song as a child at school that went with this verse.  What a blessing it is to have music as a tool for learning!  It is such a help to committing Scripture to memory and keeping it there!

As the Thanksgiving holiday approaches, I have been doing a lot of reflection on thankfulness and what it means in God's eyes to be truly thankful.  We are told in I Thessalonians to be thankful in everything.  Does God really mean that we should be thankful in everything?  Surely not, we think.  What about that spilled cup of coffee, those piles of dirty laundry or that recently elected President whose policies we disagree with?   Note that it says "in everything," not "for everything."  The NIV translates the first section, "give thanks in all circumstances." 

Let's consider this in relation to our country.  Many people feel that as Christians we are coming under more and more persecution from "the Left" in our country.  Our freedom of speech is being hindered by those who are antagonistic to Christianity.  We are mocked in the media.  I do not disagree with these things.  We do have a degree of persecution in our country and it is likely to become worse unless our nation turns back to God.  But, consider the following verses in relation to this:
"Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.  And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope.  Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us." - Romans 5:1-5 (NKJV)
The above passage tells us that our trials produce perseverance which leads to character which leads to hope.  One way we can be grateful in circumstances that we might consider unpleasant is through the spiritual blessings they can provide to us if we will allow them.  Here's another passage listing the blessings that can result from trials in our lives:
"My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.  But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing." - James 1:2-4 (NKJV)
What about that spilled coffee and those piles of dirty laundry?  How can we be thankful in those instances?  Well, the very fact that those things are occurring is evidence of physical blessings in our lives.  I'd like to end with a list of things I'm thankful for in relation to some things that could be considered unpleasant in and of themselves.  I'd encourage you to make a list like this yourself whenever you're tempted to complain about something that comes up in your life.

I'm thankful for:

  • Spilled coffee, because it means that I have coffee to drink in my home.
  • Piles of dirty laundry, because they mean my family is blessed with clothing.
  • An election result that I disagree with, because it means we still have the freedom to vote and elect our leaders.
  • A sink of dirty dishes, because it means my family has had food to eat.
  • Having to stop at a red light, because it means I have a car to drive.
  • Leaves all over the front yard, because they mean I have a beautiful maple tree to look at year-round.
  • Stinky diapers to take out, because they mean I've been blessed with another beautiful child.
  • Stacks of utility bills to be paid, because they mean I have a home with running water and heat.
  • Sawdust in the kitchen floor, because it means we will soon have more space thanks to the hard work of my husband, dad and grandfather on our home addition.
  • Toys that get spread out in the living room floor, hallway and anywhere else you can think of, because they mean I have been blessed with three wonderful children.
  • Books all over the dining table, because they mean I have the privilege of homeschooling.

0 comments:

Post a Comment